Monday, February 25, 2008

snuggling with my boy

He's like a cat. He wants full-body contact, so he presses himself all along my side, and then throws one leg over my back. I love the feel of his solid little body against me and his warmth. I let him fall asleep and then slip out of bed and come out here to go online or read. When it's grown-up bedtime we move Monster to his own bed.
It bothers hubby (I am convinced) because it's a place where I get to be the favorite parent. I get to be the favorite parent most of the time, because I pretend to understand my child and I go easy on him where hubby will try to be the tough guy which usually blows up in his face because trying to force M into doing anything is the wrong way to go about it. Monster needs to be persuaded. Then Maybe he'll do what you want him to do. Maybe.

So I get to snuggle up next to my guy and watch his face as he falls asleep. And there is peace and beauty in that little sleeping face. And I get to enjoy the stillness in him - the quiet. It's not there when he's awake ever, so it's a special chance to see that part of him.

And how is this wrong, I ask? Hubby has no answer, other than Monster is too old and needs to know how to fall asleep alone. He does know how to fall asleep alone. And occasionally, he gets to fall asleep with his leg thrown across Mommy's back, and his soft warm breath on my face. I'm guessing someday soon he will not think if this as a special treat. I'm going to take advantage while I can.

No comments: