Wednesday, March 19, 2008

tears free dropoff

Today I dropped Monster off at his new school. He will spend half the day there and then head back to his old school with cupcakes to have a little "goodbye" party with his classmates.

I didn't cry. Monster was excited beyond belief. Then his new teacher walked in to meet us. M suddenly sobered up and closed himself off. The teacher sat down next to him and asked, "How are you today?" and the kid who was 10 seconds ago spinning and dancing and jumping around answered, in a small voice, "kind of okay".

What a thrilling moment for me, because never before has this child expressed, in words, that he is nervous, worried, etc. He usually just throws a fit. But this teacher - she's so gentle and calm and kind, that instantly M is telling her about his feelings, something he almost never does with me or hubby.

I reminded her to not forget the cupcakes when Monster gets sent over to his other school. I showed her the bag with a change of clothes that she can put into his cubby. She will write me reports on his days.

I drove away and waited for the tears to come. They didn't. I felt happy and excited for my boy and I think this fresh start may be just what he needs.

No comments: