Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A day in the life

This has been one of those roller coaster days.
I was SO depressed this morning. I'm worrying about the meeting tomorrow about Monster's placement. I am trying not to worry about it because they can't MAKE me do it, but I'm still worrying.
Then I found out I got a job I've been trying to get. I get a pay raise, a bump in the pay scale, an extra week's vacation, etc. So cool. Now I'm happy.
Come home to find out my son has gone berserk on the playground at the after school program and hurt a bunch of kids, and then tore up the room when they took him back in. Hubby had to help pick up all the stuff when he went to pick him up.
I tell myself, he can't help it. But he can. But he can't. And when hubby leaves for his meeting I try to get the whole story out of Monster but he is so upset with himself and feels awful and he cries, so I finally drop it.
Call my parents to tell them about my big promotion and dad bursts my bubble by remarking that it's amazing they would promote, "with all the problems you've had there." WTF? Well, according to him all of those times that I work late or come in early to make up for all of the times I need to take Monster to appointments or watch him because he's suspended or go to yet another school meeting, well, that's a bad thing to do and most companies would frown on it. And I shouldn't let it get to me because my parents are just the way they are. But it hurt. And it took away from any happiness I had left about the new job.
Then we're wrestling on the bed. And he smacks me in the face - hard. Not exactly accidentally but sort of in an out-of-control way. We were playing wildly so I didn't punish him. But I did start crying, only because I had reached my limit for the day, and my beautiful little boy brought me his little bear ice pack and his little pink stuffed duckie to cheer me up. And I wonder again why I get so miserable, when this child is so wonderful.
Remember the movie "Parenthood", when the mom tells her husband, "I happen to LIKE the roller coaster!"? I keep trying to tell myself that life is a roller coaster and that I should sit back and enjoy the ride. But I'm not as adventurous as I used to be. Sometimes I long for the merry-go-round. Because the roller coaster never stops, and sometimes it's going up and down way too fast, and making me nauseous.
Tonight hubby is gone, so Monster and I are going to finish up Johnny Test on Cartoon Network and then we're going to snuggle up together and go to sleep. I guess my merry-go-round rides are all at night.
Every morning I wake up, and try to mentally prepare myself for another day of roller coaster. And sometimes I just don't want to face it.

No comments: