Monday, July 14, 2008

Mom to the rescue

I swear I have got to figure out how to cut the cord a bit.

Monster's PCA is on vacation for the next two weeks. So he's going to the Friday place every morning and getting picked up there for the afternoon place. It's something we've been preparing him for for a few days now.

Today I got a call in the morning and M's teacher told me he had been BAWLING, saying he wanted to go home - he even started walking out the door to walk home (it's about 10 miles from our house!). They got him back in there and called me, and I talked to Monster, and he started crying again, and I was telling him, I know you miss B - she'll be back in two weeks. You like this place, you've been here before. I know this is different for you, but you'll be okay.

As soon as I hung up the phone I started to cry. I wanted to leave work right there and then and rescue M from his sadness. I felt awful for him.

Of course 1/2 hour later the teacher called to tell me Monster was fine. He was happy and laughing and having a great time.

Lucky for me, I DO have enough common sense to realize when I want to over-mother, and didn't drive up there and rescue my son.

But still. Should I let myself get so upset just because my son is sad? This seems wrong to me. I can't feel his feelings for him. I need to let him feel them. He needs to learn to deal with painful things. It's just so hard for me to see him hurt. I want to rush in and stop the hurting right away.
Oh, and the afternoon program was really rough for M too today. I told his teacher about this morning, and she's going to talk to him tomorrow about missing people.

We'll see.

It's not like I don't torture myself enough with my own troubles; I add my son's on to my own. Poor guy.

No comments: