Saturday, May 3, 2008

Summer - dare I hope it's coming together?

This may work. It has to work.

Okay - our parental fees for Medical Assistance are about to double for some odd reason. But still. This is what we have worked out for the summer, and it is all coming out of MA. So it's paying for itself.

We have a PCA. She is our teenage neighbor and she has been approved.
The place that manages our PCA hours also has a day care program that can be paid for using our PCA hours, and Monster has been accepted into that. We can put him in all five week days, one, drop in, whatever. This has been approved.
Monster has been accepted into a treatment program for kids with behavioral issues. Once again, I find myself arguing that Monster may not fit into a program like this, because the other children are, for the most part, children who have behavior issues due to neglect, bad home life, trauma, etc. Again, NOT my son, but his classroom at school seems to be working for him, and they recommended this other place, and Monster was accepted.
Small side note. I had to sign a form saying it was okay to place my child in a locked room if he got out of control.
I hate the idea of this, although they already do this at school too.
I hate that this is something that will happen to my son.
But I don't know how to get around it, except to quit my job and homeschool the kid. And well, we can't do that.
Hubby says Monster will be fine. It's a calming room. It's not a prison cell. And I picture my child in 10 years and wonder, if I allow this now, will they give him enough control over himself that he doesn't end up in a REAL cell, in jail or juvenile hall?
I just hate that this is stuff I even need to consider.
So this is the deal. If it works.
And I just have to say, this all fell into place after almost a year of frantically running around like crazy, and oftentimes wanting to give up because nothing was fitting. Nothing seemed to be happening. But then suddenly, everything seemed to line up and come together, and I love to see my hard work actually achieve something for Monster that is actually a good setup, not just OMG we have to find something we'll take anything! sort of thing.
Anyhow. Setup.
PCA (We'll call her Katie) will watch Monster 20-25 hours a week, and it will be broken down like this.
At the moment there is not an opening for Monster yet at the behavior program. Until there is, once school is out, Katie will watch Monster 2-3 days a week, and he will go to the PCA management program the other days.
When the behavior program gets a space, Monster will be watched by Katie 5 hours each morning M-Th and be picked up by the van which will deliver him to his afternoon program and bring him home.
Fridays he will go to the PCA management place.
This can work. And Monster will get lots of positive attention from Katie and lots of valuable skills from the two programs.

And even though the economy is tanking, I am allowing myself to look into the future, next September, when I will have put in enough time at my new job (did I mention I have a new job? Same co, just a promotion and a job with opportunity to telecommute) to ask for a telecommute position, I can put in 7 hours a day in between pickups at school and dropoffs from the afternoon program (which continues into the school year) and work 4 hours each Saturday.

This can work.

I can't help but be hopeful. Which sort of worries me, because I know things can't come together this perfectly without a glitch.

But for now, I am just happy that I have managed to pull this off.

No comments: