Tuesday, April 22, 2008

This is my son, in an EBD class

Monster is in his third week in his new classroom. The EBD room, the one I was so afraid to put him into. Because, you know, he's six, and the other boys in the room are 8 or 9, and they have different issues than my son. Everyone was against this move besides Monster's team. Even me.

But now.

My son is learning. He is sitting still and he is reading and doing math with 1st graders, and sitting in on circle time with kindergartners, and he is actually doing schoolwork and he is LOVING it. Who would have known that, in the right environment, my son would suddenly decide that sitting still and doing schoolwork would actually be something he enjoyed?

I guess the moral of this story is, you need to go with your gut. Research as much as you can. Ask for as much advice as you can. Make the teachers and the whole school team tell you their whole plan for your child, and why they think this is the best place. Make phone calls and see if you can find a better place.

Then, take a deep breath, and follow your gut. And don't look back. Because you did your research and you made your best choice. Yes I have changed the trajectory of my son's life. I got lucky this time and made (I think) a good choice. But if this turns out to be a wrong choice, I will try to remember not to beat myself up over what I chose. We can only make the best decision with the information we have. It's a gamble. And it's your kid's life. But you have to move forward and choose paths.

I think it's important to always look forward.

No comments: