Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Cells

"Calming rooms", they're called. And apparently my son spends at least a few minutes most every school day in one.

This bothers me.

I don't know why.

I have signed him up for half-day classes at a special school for children with behavioral difficulties (this would be for summer and in conjunction with school when it starts back up). I had to sign a release that it was okay to place my child in a locked room alone if he was out of control.

Sigh.

I sit here thinking, I shouldn't have to sign these releases. My son shouldn't need to be locked up. But he does need it. Even I would admit it. The kid is STRONG. He's 6 years old, over 4 feet tall, and is 54 pounds of solid muscle. When we wrestle on the bed he sometimes really CAN pin me - it's not always me pretending.

So of course the teachers don't want to be hurt. And they don't want the kids hurt.

I just hate that this is part of my son's life. I just don't know what the alternative is anymore.

I watch cop shows on TV and think to myself, I can do this now or he can end up in jail when he gets older.

But what if he goes through all of this and still ends up in trouble when he's older?

I hate that there are no guarantees. Just hate it.

No comments: