Friday, December 19, 2008

Lego

Are there Aspie kids out there who are not obsessed with Lego? Monster loves his Lego more than anything else in the whole house. And he has a lot of crap to choose between.

He builds odd, totem-pole-like creatures out of heads stacked together and placed on some of a platform. He also like to make the pirates fight the police men.

Monster has a giant box of Lego. And I have bought him him a couple of sets in the past that I built for him and begged him to keep them nice, but they are quickly disassembled and disappear into the giant lego box, never to be seen again. So that's it. No more Lego kits for him. Ever.

Except. There are two I want to get him. The Death Star, which, along with it's unbelievable price tag ($400.00) has so many people and pieces that would disappear within hours of its completion. But I know that these will be discontinued in a couple of years and part of me wants to get it for him and hide it away for years until he actually can take care of it properly. But then i wonder if he will ever reach that point.

The other is an American Indian village that I have been bidding on on Ebay. I decided no, I am not buying this for him, because he won't like it nearly as much as the death star. But the price!!! Holy cow. I think about what $400.00 can buy. I think I should take that money and buy gifts for needy kids. The problem is, I want it too.

I think it's going to have to pass us by. As much as my son loves Lego he doesn't like the idea that you must keep buildings in the same order they were built in. IN his mind, a bilding is a starting-off point, with cool windows and doors and such to be removed and adeed to hiideous totem pole statues he designs for his own pleasure.

I think I will just keep watching for the bargains on ebay for Lego people. He'd be happy if he only had those.

But holy cow that death star is cool!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen that Death Star. It's awesome, but way overpriced. Sucks!

I miss the days when there were no lego "kits". You just bought a big-assed box of lego pieces and you built whatever your heart desired. If you lost a piece or two, no biggie, cuz you had 3,000 more just like it you could use in infinite ways.

Now, you can ONLY buy kits, and they can only be built one way. Kinda takes all the imagination, creativity, and fun out of it, dontcha think? Bah!

Pangaia said...

I felt the same way, Martha. My brothers and I spent hours turning plain old bricks into cool marble towers, houses, etc. But then I bought a kit and got hooked. I do think that kids ned the plain legos ids, and we adults only should get to build the models.
I got super lucky because my mom had a 5-gallon ice cream bucket full of lego blocks from when we were kids, plus another large box of wheels and gears, and even some really old people. She sent it all to Monster because she knows how much he loves Lego, and because he's her favorite grandkid. Just kiding! But she HAS told me that before....