Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The fun never stops!

The job I hated will be no more soon. My boss had a little chat with me yesterday and told me I wasn't a "good fit", but she's not firing me; she's going to help me find a different job within the corporation where I'd fit better. Not sure what that means because I am (I thought) pretty good at my job, but the two things that have been angering and frustrating me have nothing to do with my performance per se...

1) My boss has been really ticked off at me since I applied for intermittent FMLA, even though I've only had to use it ONCE in the past 6 months to care for Monster.
2) My boss has no children and oddly enough nobody else has small children in her division, and she has no understanding of how sometimes, as much as we care about our jobs and want to do our best and put in our time, our children must come first. We responsible parents do everything we can to make sure that our children are cared for and have places to go so that we can go to work and get our work doen without worrying about them. But that all changes when your child consistently gets kicked out of daycares, sent home from school, etc. I can't put in the OT my boss expects everyone under her to put in, because I need to put in my 8 hours and then be home for my child. I have no problem putting in OT when a project calls for it, but she seems to think a truly dedicated employee would practically sleep at work.

Blessing in disguise? We'll see. It depends upon whether or not I get a decent job out of this whole deal, with a boss who hopefully has young children, or grown children, but at least remembers. I am semi-friends with a man who supervises my old department (he was promoted after I left) and he has a disabled daughter. He;s the one who told me about intermittent FMLA. So I emailed him yesterday and asked him to keep an eye out for me. I have quite a few connections and these people, even if they don't have positions for me, can put in a good word for me to whomever asks.

So now, my blessings from Monster list, for no reason whatsoever except of course his being who he is makes everything more difficult when dealing with all the ignorant, intolerant people out there. like my boss....

1) His great sense of humor. We make each other laugh all the time. His humor is twisted and sarcastic, like mine. Plus sneaky and goofy and immature, also like me. Just now as I was writing this he said, "Does this tickle?" and then blew on my belly. The nut.
2) His amazing intelligence. His insight and deductive reasoning is mind -boggling. He always impresses me, and since I consider myself somewhat bright, that's VERY impressive, IMO.
3) His cuddliness. He still asks for "Uppy comepuppy", code word for, "I want to be held". He crawls his long, lanky body onto my lap and settles against my chest and it's like a homecoming. My body relaxes and I breathe deeply. I was meant to hold this child. I was meant to give him all the hugs and "uppy comepuppies" he needs.
4) His caring and compassion. When I slid down the wet, muddy stairs at the Renaissance Festival this summer my boy was right there, hugging me, kissing me, holding me, asking me what I needed. He is kind and recently started bawling when they showed a particularly heart-wrenching Humane Society commercial. He wouldn't calm down until I went online and made a contribution to them.
5) His love and appreciation of all that is fun. Rides, trips to parks, paddleboats, camping (with Hubby, NOT me), fishing (again with Hubby) - he is just ready to try anything. He has an enthusiasm and excitement about life that I can't help but get caught up in.
6) He is amazingly beautiful. He is physically perfect - tall and lean. He has huge brown eyes and hair like mine when I was little - golden blonde in the winter and light blonde in the summer. I still love to just look at him. I can't stop looking at him.
7) The way his team at his school tells me that he "lights up the room" when he enters. The teachers adore him and my son seems to know how to charm them even though he still has his issues. Even the principal thinks he's wonderful. A far cry from the principal at his old school, who considered him merely a troublemaker.


I don't dread going to work anymore. Today I'll get ahold of all the rest of my friends and get the word out. Then I'll start applying for the jobs my boss claims she'll help me land. And maybe I'll find a boss who understands that sometimes children need to come first. I'm not scared of hard work and I do my damnedest to keep my private life separate from my work life, but kids like mine tend to bleed into every other part of your life. People need to start undertstanding that.

1 comment:

Linda04364 said...

I'm so glad to see you ARE blogging again. And also that you are feeling positive about the changes to come!

I enjoy reading your blog. And even when you are completely frustrated and having a terrible day - it's STILL helpful to those of us who share your struggles... if your blog was always cheery upbeat stuff, I'd worry about what I was doing wrong! We ALL have good days and bad days... and sometimes it's good to know we can wallow in misery together... just as we can rejoice together in our beautiful children!

I hope all goes well with the new position - it may turn out to be the best thing that could happen to you! Good luck!!!