Thursday, January 22, 2009

Update

It’s been one of those time periods where I haven’t wanted to write about my life with Monster so much. I was transferred surprisingly and quickly to my old job which in a way suits me fine since my boss apparently didn’t like me any better than I liked her. She told me I wasn’t learning quickly enough, which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard because I am and always have been a fast learner, and others who had been there a couple of years told me I had picked up the process much faster than they did. But whatever. I got to keep my salary so whatever I’m doing is fine. Nowadays it’s just nice to have a job.
Monster went through some horrible tantrums at school, trying to bite kids, throwing chairs, turning over desks, hitting teachers, etc. I don’t know what is going on in that little brain of his, except that this unexpected rejection of the day program has thrown him for a loop and he can’t seem to get beyond it. They don’t send him home anymore (thank goodness – or neither my husband nor I would have jobs). They just deal with him. I trust them. They seem to care quite a bit about him at school. I hope my impressions are correct. You see videos of teachers “dealing with” out of control children and you want to grab the teacher by the hair and yank her backwards til her head snaps. Or maybe I’m overly violent? Nobody had better hurt my kid ever again, is all I can say. I still have a lot of anger about what happened before.
We’re redoing Monster’s room, not because we have the money, but because he grew too tall for his seemingly mini bunk bed, and kept bumping his head on the boards when he slept on the bottom bunk. So we moved him up. The ladder hurt his feet. Sigh. He threw tantrums because he wanted us to hold him and lift him up and down. The child is a good 65 pounds now and no way will either one of us lift him. Plus, there was no way I could think to change the sheets , what with the every –other-night diaper leak (is there an overnight diaper that DOESN’T leak? It HAS to be a pullup). The mattress weighs a ton: I can’t climb up on that wobbly thing because I’m sure I would collapse it. So I had to life and haul the mattress over the rail, then hold it and try to keep it from falling while I undid and redid the far corners against the wall. Then I had to push the mattress back up over the railing and onto the bed. NOT much better than lifting a load of a child up there. So it had to go. We’re getting a captain’s bed – found a cheap one and got a box marked on it, “ BOX 2 of 2” Where is BOX 1, you ask? We have no idea. Amazon sells these, but the real dealer is some other place and we had to email them with our question and haven’t heard back. We have no drawers – just large cubbies. Odd.
I still spend every day worrying that I will go to pick my son up from daycare and be told we need to start looking for another daycare. Sigh. I wish I could just let this go. What good does worrying do me? OR Monster? He seems to do fine there. The mom gets upset with him sometimes but he can be an annoying kid. I don’t expect her to be a saint. Just don’t hurt him, or I will have to do something drastic.
Anyhow, that’s about it for now. Last week we purged toys from Monster’s room and moved furniture and for now the guy is sleeping on the floor, on top of the two mattresses from his bunk bed, stacked. He loves it and doesn’t see why he needs a bed. I’m starting to wonder, myself. But the drawers underneath, if they ever happen to show up, would be SO convenient as his sheets and extra blankets live in a huge plastic box in the closet for the time being.
The best part about getting rid of the toys we called his “Not Seven-Year-Old Toys” (since part of the purge is to make way for his birthday stuff) was his discovery of toys he had forgotten. They’re being brought down off the shelves and played with, and it’s wonderful.
And even though this may offend some, let me just say,
OBAMA IS OUR PRESIDENT!!!!!!! THERE IS NOW HOPE FOR THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!

2 comments:

polycotte said...

We used absorbent liner pads inside our son's overnight diapers/pull-ups -- he was such a heavy night-pee-er. They were in the drugstore next to the diapers. Maybe you can find some. Also, I recommend large rectangular waterproof pads, that go over or just under the fitted sheet. Makes bedding changes much faster. We got ours through the BedwettingStore.com.

Eventually, wet beds will be a thing of the past for you. Alas, for us, it took about 11 years.

I agree, there are many reasons for hOpe, one of them starting with O!

"Hope" your drawers turn up soon!

hang in there --

polycotte

Pangaia said...

Thanks, Polycotte!
We did get a sample of super-absorbent pads we are going to try to put into his pullup. His problem more though is that if he can get at his diaper things get pulled out and then the diaper does no good. So the blanket sleepers help some on cutting back his access.

We've tried the pads under his bottom sheet but the kid's like a sprinkler. he not only wets the bottom shet, but the upper sheet, the blanket...you get the picture. So we gave up on those.

But I will try the pad. And meanwhile I bought a pattern from the 20's on ebay that is sort of longjohns but with short sleeves and short pants. I just need some insipration to make some. My son just needs to not get easy access to his pullup when he's sleeping, and things would be much better

Thanks for your suggestions!