Monday, September 1, 2008

My first grade boy

Where has the time gone, my sweetest boy? Tomorrow you start first grade. It came so quickly. And you - even in the past few months I have watched you change and become so much more independent, so much more ready to take on the world without me.
I've been trying to give you more freedom without letting you go completely. Sometimes I know I pull on you too hard and other times I probably should be more watchful. It's so difficult to find the right balance.

My focus on you has become less of "my son who has Aspergers" to simply "my son". You will always have Asperger's, but I am able to see lately that this won't homd you back in many ways at all. I know you're having friend troubles, and this worries me, but I also know this is something you need to learn to work through, on your own, in your own way. I can project my own feelings of loneliness that I have had in the past onto you, but they aren't your feelings. I think I've spent a very long time feeling your feelings for you, or interpreting your feelings in my own way.

I have high hopes that this year will be so much better for you. I think you are finally in a stable place where you are understood, and so I don't have any big worries over the school year.

I just pray that you will make friends. And be happy. And learn well. And develop the love of learning that will carry you through life.

Good luck, my grown-up boy!!! I can't wait to hear all about your first day.

Love, Mom.

No comments: